The Main House comprises the original American Colony building and the New Wing.The original building was built in the mid 19th century by Pasha Rabah Effendi El Husseini on the ruins of an older Ottoman style building (part of whose original wall can still be seen in Val's Brasserie). At first rented by the American Colony from the Husseini family, it was finally purchased from them in 1895. Later, a new wing was added, with particular attention paid to making a seamless connection between the older and the newer buildings. The rooms in the New Wing are themed by floor, each of which has a different character and style, the Swedish floor, the Spafford floor, the Allenby floor and the TE Lawrence floor. Several of these rooms have capacious terraces.
The Main House contains the Lobby and Reception, The Arabesque Restaurant , The Courtyard Restaurant, Val's Brasserie, The Cellar Bar, the Pool and Fitness areas and the Business Centre. Its Guest Rooms include Standard Rooms, Superior Rooms, Classic Pasha, Deluxe Pasha, Junior Suites, Suites and Room No. 6.
The Palm House was originally a two story building, and dates from the end of the nineteenth century. An extra floor was added by the Colony members in the 1930s. It is adjacent to the East House and just across the driveway from the Main House. It adjoins the Palm House Garden that houses our Summer Bar and Barbecue. Recently refurbished to the highest standards, The Palm House contains luxurious rooms, some with spectacular painted ceilings, as well as our extensive American Colony Archive, which was officially open to the public in Spring 2014.
One of the original American Colony buildings, the East House was built circa 1870 by Pasha Rabah Effendi El Husseini and purchased by the American Colony in 1895. It is just across from our Main House and adjoins our unique edible garden. The arched ceilings and tiled floors (each one different) of the older rooms are historic and quietly elegant. On the top floor we have created pamperingly comfortable loft rooms (Penthouse Suites) with generous spa bathrooms. The upper rooms and the Penthouse Suites in this building are reached by a spectacular outside staircase, or, if you prefer, by elevator. Rooms available in the East House include: Classic Pasha, Deluxe Pasha and Penthouse Suites. Several of the rooms in the East House have their own terrace or private patio.
Constructed originally by the early American Colony members, in the local style, as an agricultural building, this was used at first as a barn and animal shelter, and later as a forge. The original roof beams and the old stonework have been preserved and incorporated into the newly restored rooms and suites, several of which have their own private patio or terrace. The Cow Byre is situated in the lower part of the American Colony compound, adjacent to the car park. It is specially designed for extended stays with kitchenettes and the option for family areas by connecting rooms. The room types include Standard rooms, Superior Room, Classic Pasha Rooms and Suites.
These buildings, built in the 1920s, and used in the old days as cottages for single American Colony members, are built over an extensive system of cisterns. These are just a few of the large underground cisterns that are distributed throughout the American Colony compound, originally providing clean water throughout the year. In these buildings you will find Munir Barakat "Antiquarian" Giftshop, The Bookshop and the Terrace Café.