The Main House comprises the original American Colony building and the New Wing. The original building was built in the mid 19th century by Pasha Rabah Effendi El Husseini on the ruins of an older Ottoman style building (part of whose original wall can still be seen in Val's Brasserie). At first rented by the American Colony from the Husseini family, it was finally purchased from them in 1895. Later, a new wing was added, with particular attention paid to making a seamless connection between the older and the newer buildings. The rooms in the New Wing are themed by floor, each of which has a different character and style, the Swedish floor, the Spafford floor, the Allenby floor and the TE Lawrence floor. Several of these rooms have capacious terraces.